Building a more secure West Mercia
I will reduce harm and protect people in communities right across West Mercia, particularly our most vulnerable people. From my perspective this is a non-negotiable part of policing and a key commitment from my partners. Together we can build a more secure West Mercia by understanding and tackling the causes of crime, improving community resilience and cohesion and being more responsive to emerging threats.
My particular focus areas will be:
- The most serious crimes committed against individuals and the most vulnerable in our society
- Crimes and incidents that impact our communities on a daily basis
- Crimes hidden from public view whether online or in our local communities which are often responsible for causing the greatest harm
- New or emerging crimes.
I will hold the Chief Constable to account for:
- Making sure the police provide the right response to incidents at the right time
- Working closely with partner agencies to reduce harm and prevent victimisation
- Ensuring officers and staff effectively identify and support people with vulnerabilities, understanding and managing associated risks
- Proactively finding the causes of crime so threats are identified and targeted before they escalate
- Working more effectively with partners and local communities to prevent, resolve and reduce crime and anti-social behaviour
- Ensuring partnership commitments are fully implemented and delivering the best possible results, including West Mercia’s Reducing Reoffending Strategy and Mental Health Crisis Concordat
- Working with West Mercia Safer Roads Partnership and others to improve road safety, using practical, evidence led approaches to enforcement and education, reducing the number of deaths and serious injuries.
Together the Chief Constable and I will:
- Work with partners to increase the proportion of hate crimes reported to the police.
As your Commissioner I will:
- Ensure partners work together to provide efficient and effective support to victims and use early intervention to prevent victimisation
- Make sure public funding used in support of this objective is allocated responsibly, is outcome focussed and based on proven need
- Use a commissioning framework to ensure funding for community safety partnerships represents value for money
- Make sure the Safer Roads Partnership responds to community concerns as well as working to reduce deaths and serious injuries on our roads
- Provide oversight and support to West Mercia’s Reducing Reoffending Strategy.
What I will deliver for West Mercia:
- A reduction in harm and an increased feeling of safety as a result of fewer repeat victims and offenders and an increase reporting of offences
- West Mercia Police will sustain its ‘Good’ rating in HMICFRS’s PEEL (police effectiveness, efficiency and legitimacy programme) effectiveness (vulnerability) inspection
- An increase in confidence to report an offence to the police from both victims and witnesses
- Increase the proportion of hate crimes reported to the police.