Key duties and responsibilities:
- To arrange custody visits with fellow custody visitors, in line with agreed schedules
made by the Local Panel Co-ordinator.
- To keep the Local Panel Co-ordinator / Scheme Administrator and fellow custody
visitors informed of any problems with scheduled custody visits.
- To carry out visits to designated custody suites in line with the scheme, ICVA
Custody Visiting Code of Practice and your training.
- To check on the conditions in which detainees are kept, particularly regarding their
health, well-being, rights and entitlements, with reference to PACE Codes of Practice
Code C. This will include:
- Clarifying and checking any concerns raised by the detainee, consulting the custody record where appropriate.
- Discussing with the Custody staff any concerns and requests arising from thecustody visit and bringing to the Custody Sergeants attention any mattersrequiring immediate attention.
- Completing the Independent Custody Visitor Report Form (eitherelectronically or on paper), ensuring that relevant information is recordedcorrectly, clearly and concisely.
- To notify the Panel Co-ordinator of issues that need to be escalated andbrought to the attention of the Scheme Administrator.
- To complete and submit expense claims in line with the scheme guidelines.
- To attend continuous professional development training events as requested by the
- To attend panel meetings of Independent Custody Visitors.
- To carry out the duties of an Independent Custody Visitor having due regard to the
health and safety requirements of the Independent Custody Visiting Scheme.
- To notify the Panel Co-ordinator and the Scheme Administrator of any changes to
your contact details as soon as practicable or any changes which may affect your
ability to carry out your role impartially.
- Not to disclose details about any detainee you have spoken to, to any person, except
those concerned with their detention.
- Not to disclose details of any person you have met in custody on social media, to the
press or any other media outlet.