PCC: Significant Investment in Policing to Benefit Communities
Police and Crime Commissioner John Campion is welcoming the Government’s biggest investment in policing for a decade, as confirmed by the Home Secretary today.
The £700 million investment nationally, equates to just under a 10% increase, and will not only support the biggest recruitment drive in decades, including 93 additional officers in West Mercia by March 2021 but will help drive a number of priorities important to communities locally and nationally.
This includes investments in:
- Serious organised crime, such as county lines or violent offences.
- Protection for vulnerable people
- Crime prevention to make streets safer
- Transforming policing for the digital age.
The Home Office has confirmed increased flexibility over council tax for Police and Crime Commissioner across England and Wales, allowing an increase of up to £10.
West Mercia Police and Crime Commissioner John Campion said: “This significant increase in funding will support the work I am doing locally, helping us reinforce the efforts to fight crime, ultimately making our communities safer.
I am grateful that the Government have delivered on their promise to focus on the issues that have the biggest impact on our communities and I am committed to making best use of the additional resources locally.
“Now that we have the figures, I will be considering the options available in the days ahead. I will then be publishing a budget strategy after the public consultation has closed on Friday. I would encourage those who haven’t yet taken part to do so to ensure your voice is heard.
The Police and Crime Commissioner’s budget consultation is ongoing. To take part click here.
- Contingent on the PCC’s decision, which is yet to be made, in relation to the precept funding for West Mercia in 2020/21 can go up to £236.6 million, an increase of approximately £16.6 million in total funding, compared to last year.
- The PCC has delivered the lowest percentages increases nationally, for the last three years.
- West Mercia’s annual policing budget for 2019/20 is currently approx £224.6m. Around 54.5% of this is made up from central grant funding, with the remainder from local council tax contributions.
Issued: Wednesday 22nd January 2020