Putting Victims and Survivors First
I will ensure improved and more consistent services for the victims, survivors and witnesses who suffer most from crime. I will ensure they get the right help to cope and recover at every point of their journey.
I will hold the Chief Constable to account for:
- Making sure officers and staff have the skills to properly support victims and survivors and do so whenever necessary
- Ensuring all victims and survivors who report an offence in West Mercia can access ‘Track my Crime’ or an alternative with equivalent capability.
As your Commissioner I will:
- Work hard to put victims and survivors first
- Set out my commitment in a new Victims Charter, clarifying what services victims can expect, and what services must be delivered
- Complete a victims’ needs assessment
- Bring together and help lead a new Victims Board to ensure better results and consistency
- Make sure victims and survivors get effective services, enabling them to cope and recover and reduce their chances of re-victimisation
- Work with government to further enhance services for victims, survivors and witnesses locally
- Support the appropriate use of restorative justice.
What I will deliver for West Mercia:
An enhanced and seamless approach to victim, survivor and witness care which will include:
- An inclusive approach to commissioned services where all victims, survivors and witness are kept informed and receive tailored support
- A seamless pathway of commissioned activity from my office, dovetailing where possible into existing provision from partner agencies increasing victim confidence
- Achieving the right outcome for the victim and supporting more cases through the criminal justice system
Please also see the helping victims of crime section of the website